Tips for avoiding the biggest security mistakes while you’re away
The last thing you need is to be worrying about your home while you are away enjoying the School Summer Holidays with your family.
We all know the basics like making sure to lock the doors and windows, but have you thought of these?
- Stop your mail or ask someone to collect it for you. An overflowing mailbox is a good indication that you haven’t been home for a while.
- Lock everything – make sure you lock or deadbolt every door and window in your house including the garage door.
- Be sure to secure pet doors- Even smaller access points for your fury friends make it easier for home invaders to get inside your home
- Consider putting a beware of the dog sign up- home invaders are looking for easy target with minimal risk, the thought of dealing with a dog can be enough to get them to move on.
- Install a home alarm system- There are a range of home security systems to suit your family’s needs.
- If you already have an alarm system, test it to make sure it is working properly (many systems rely on batteries that need to be replaced every 3-5 years). It is recommended that you get your alarm system professionally serviced periodically to ensure it is functioning as intended.
- Consider installing a monitored alarm system whether this be professional monitoring or a self-monitored system that can provide notifications directly to your smartphone.
- Install automatic lighting system- Simple tricks like this ensure you home is looking lived in while you are away. A modern alarm system can be configured to trigger home automation events such as switching on lights and radios when a sensor is activated.
- Consider installing a security camera system. This will provide a second layer of security and if configured correctly will allow you to check your property remotely through your smartphone.
- Be very careful when hiding spare keys around the house – You don’t want to make it easy for prospective burglars by leaving them a key to get in.
- Make sure you don’t leave anything valuable in sight of windows and doors- Do not give them incentive to get inside.
- Ask a friend/ family member or trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your home ?